Friday, September 16, 2011

"Dinner" and a Movie

The little things that are taken for granted. A hot shower, a walk through the grocery store, a 0.25 cent busride. These things occur in my daily life without being given a second thought. It's not until I go into the poorer neighborhoods of Santo Domingo that I realize these commodities, for many people, are rare.

Wednesday afternoon was movie day for the kids of barrios Laura Flores, Cristo Vive, and 12 de Octubre (the three neighborhoods that our organization, Sonando por el Cambio, works in.) Santo Domingo's mayor, a follower of our project, donated 60 movie tickets to our organization to take the kids on a field trip. The majority of the kids had never been to the movie theater before so, needless to say, it was an exciting day for them. Not quite as exciting for myself, though, as I was responsible for all 60 children, as my coworkers had other acitivities to take care of that day. After being in Ecuador for nearly a year and a half, my concept of "being on time" has altered tremendously and I no longer hold great importance in being punctual (being on time just does not happen in Ecuador.) So, we arrived for the 3:00pm movie at 3:20pm. Sprinting down the hallways of Santo Domingo's shopping plaza with 60 kids towards the movie theater, a memory that will never be forgotten. Dodging in and out of shoppers, dragging kids by their arms and legs who fell behind, screaming and laughing as we went, it was quite the sight to be seen.

I'm not sure why I thought I would be able to actually watch the movie we had tickets for. The most I probably sat down to see was a maximum of 2 minutes. Within the first 30 seconds inside the movie theater, atleast 10 kids were screaming my name from the top seats of the theater, they needed the bathroom. "Ok, lets go..." I said. As I waited for them outside of the bathroom, atleast 4 or 5 more would pop out, they, too, needed the bathroom. I waited 5 minutes, then 10 minutes for the kids. After getting impatient, I entered the bathroom to find them not washing their hands or using the bathroom, but instead blowdrying their hair under the hand dryers. I couldn't help but laugh at them, and ask them what they thought they were doing. After basically washing their hair in the sink, they had fallen in love with the fancy hand dryers and were crowded around them to get a turn.

Five more minutes after our return to the movie, a handful more of kids "needed the bathroom." Off we went, again, but this time it wasn't the hand dryers they were after. They wanted popcorn. I accompanied them to the concession stand to watch, painfully, as the kids asked the attendant the prices of every single item the store had to offer. "Three dollars, two dollars, a dollar fifty," she responded coldly as my children got more and more discouraged, as they recounted the 0.20 or 0.30 cents they held in their hands. "It's ok you guys," I explained. "Movie theaters are always really expensive, let's not waste our money here." Trying to make them feel better about the situation was hard, I realized, because all the kids wanted was a snack during the movie. Those kids who did conjure up the sufficient 0.80 cents needed for a tiny candybar walked away unsatisfied, dividing up the meager treat amongst their friends. The realization that these kids had just bought over-priced candy, wasting the 0.80 to $1 their parents could barely afford to give them was heartbreaking for me.

Returning to the movie, I was able to watch a couple more minutes of the movie until the next interruption. "Mia! Mia! Mia!" the kids screamed and ran down to my seat. "Why does it say on our ticket that they will give us CENA?" Looking at their ticket, I see that on each ticket is written, "SENA." Cena, in Spanish, means dinner. As Cena and Sena are similarly spelled, and many of the kids cannot read very well, the rumor had been spread that dinner was on the way. Sadly, I had to explain to them that they don't serve dinner in the movie theater, and that it doesn't say CENA but SENA.

After many more interruptions and occurences, the movie ended and we shuffled everyone to their buses to head home. Reflecting on the afternoon, I was left with saddness for the unfairness and inequality that exists even within a city like Santo Domingo, let alone the rest of the world. Tucked under sheet metal and cardboard houses, these kids will probably never make it out of their social class, even if they want to. Over the course of a year and a half here in Santo Domingo, I have met kids who blow my mind away with their intelligence and desire to do something great with their lives. A 15 year old girl the other week who wants to become Santo Domingo's first woman guitar player to perform publically, a 13 year old boy who wants to be an architect and study engineering, an 11 year old boy that loves math and got 100% on his exam last week. One can only hope they will find a way out of their barrios, out of falling into the norm which is, it seems, to have a baby at age 15 or 16, to live on the streets or join a gang.

A very unique afternoon at the movies...

1 comment:

  1. You're such a good writer, Mia. And I can TOTALLY relate to losing the need to be on time...punctuality doesn't exist in Thailand either!

    ReplyDelete